2016–17 C3 Playoff Preview
April 3, 2017
Normally, the Spiders would be looking at upcoming round-robin opponents now that the calendar has turned to April. Instead, the Spiders have been on the outside looking in from the golf course. The AHA Winter playoffs begin tonight, so here’s how the C3 matchups ended up. Duly noted, the C3 West LED Nord finished tied for the most points of any team across the AHA. As has happened far too often, the Spiders always manage to find their way into the toughest division.
Seeding for C3 Tier:
- Pool A:
- East #1 (Northern Gators)
- North #2 (Spartans)
- West #3 (Icedogs)
- East #4 (Royals)
- Pool B:
- North #1 (Wolf-Rayets)
- West #2 (Arctic Wolves)
- East #3 (Minnesota Mild)
- North #4 (Wildcats)
- Pool C:
- West #1 (Les Etoiles du Nord)
- East #2 (Anchors)
- North #3 (Hooligans)
- West #4 (Black Ice)
Final regular season C3 standings:
|Les Etoiles du Nord –y||20||15||2||1||2||33||85||44||54|
|Arctic Wolves –x||20||12||4||4||0||28||90||57||100|
|Black Ice –x||20||10||7||3||0||23||65||60||179|
|Shame On Ice||20||9||9||1||1||20||66||59||112|
|Northern Gators –y||20||14||5||1||0||29||85||44||124|
|Minnesota Mild –x||20||11||6||2||1||25||86||87||78|
Regular season tiebreakers:
In the event of a tie in the regular season standings, the following criteria are used to determine post-season seeding:
- Total points in the regular season.
- Number of wins in the regular season.
- Head-to-head record between teams in the regular season.
- Fewest total penalty minutes in the regular season.
- Fewest goals allowed in the regular season.
- Most goals scored in the regular season.
- Coin toss.
The post-season schedule matchups for the C3 tier:
|Wednesday, April 5||6:15 p.m.||BIG 1||A||Spartans C3 (2)||Royals C3 (4)|
|Wednesday, April 5||6:30 p.m.||BIG 2||B||Wolf-Rayets C3 (1)||Minnesota Mild (3)|
|Wednesday, April 5||8:00 p.m.||BIG 1||A||Northern Gators (1)||Icedogs (3)|
|Wednesday, April 5||8:15 p.m.||BIG 2||C||Les Etoiles du Nord C3 (1)||Hooligans C3 (3)|
|Wednesday, April 5||9:45 p.m.||BIG 1||B||Arctic Wolves (2)||Wildcats (4)|
|Wednesday, April 5||10:00 p.m.||BIG 2||C||Anchors C3 (2)||Black Ice (4)|
|Thursday, April 6||6:15 p.m.||BIG 3||B||Minnesota Mild (3)||Wildcats (4)|
|Thursday, April 6||7:15 p.m.||BIG 2||A||Northern Gators (1)||Spartans C3 (2)|
|Thursday, April 6||8:00 p.m.||BIG 3||B||Wolf-Rayets C3 (1)||Arctic Wolves (2)|
|Thursday, April 6||9:00 p.m.||BIG 2||A||Icedogs (3)||Royals C3 (4)|
|Thursday, April 6||9:45 p.m.||BIG 1||C||Les Etoiles du Nord C3 (1)||Anchors C3 (2)|
|Thursday, April 6||9:45 p.m.||BIG 3||C||Hooligans C3 (3)||Black Ice (4)|
|Saturday, April 8||8:15 a.m.||BIG 1||A||Spartans C3 (2)||Icedogs (3)|
|Saturday, April 8||10:00 a.m.||BIG 1||A||Northern Gators (1)||Royals C3 (4)|
|Saturday, April 8||11:45 a.m.||BIG 1||B||Arctic Wolves (2)||Minnesota Mild (3)|
|Saturday, April 8||1:00 p.m.||BIG 2||C||Anchors C3 (2)||Hooligans C3 (3)|
|Saturday, April 8||1:30 p.m.||BIG 1||B||Wolf-Rayets C3 (1)||Wildcats (4)|
|Saturday, April 8||2:45 p.m.||BIG 2||C||Les Etoiles du Nord C3 (1)||Black Ice (4)|
|Sunday, April 9||9:00 a.m.||BIG 2||SF||Semi-final #2 vs. #3|
|Sunday, April 9||10:45 a.m.||BIG 2||SF||Semi-final #1 vs. #4|
|Sunday, April 9||7:45 p.m.||BIG 2||Championship|
- There will be no overtime in round-robin pool play. Pool play games will end in ties and will count in the standings.
- If at any time the score differential is six or greater in the third period, the clock will convert to running time. If at any time the score differential goes below six goals, the clock will revert back to stop time.
- In championship games, if at the end of the three periods the score is tied, the teams shall play one overtime period of five minutes, running time. If at the end of the overtime period the score is still tied, a shootout will take place. Shootout rules are as follows:
- Three players from each team participate in the order the team captain selects. The home team will elect whether to shoot first or second.
- Each team takes three shots in alternating fashion. The team with the most goals after those six (or fewer) shots is the winner.
- If the score remains tied, the shootout will proceed to a “sudden death” format. No skater may participate more than once until all other skaters have participated.
- Tiebreakers for pool standings:
- Most points
- Goal differential (six goals maximum per game)
- Fewest goals against
- Fewest minor penalties
- Fewest total penalty minutes
- Earliest goal scored
- Coin toss
(Note: If three teams are tied, once a team is determined as the higher seed, the tiebreaker reverts to step 1 of the criteria between two remaining teams, if necessary.)